A village along the water
About ten kilometers from Paris-Charles de Gaulle airport, 3 kilometers from the Mitry-Mory RER terminus, Gressy is fortunate to be very well served. The Beuvronne, a tributary of the Marne, crosses the village from north to south and traces the territorial limit with the small village of Messy to the east. The Canal de l'Ourcq borders the village to the south and offers a pleasant setting for walking or cycling tours. These two streams to which are added the natural spaces are the strong points of the environment from the community.
A little history…
In the middle Ages
It was in 1180, in the middle of the Middle Ages, that the historical period of the town of Gressy began. Raoul de Gressy, small lord of this place founded the church dedicated to Saint Denis. Raoul had a daughter, Eustachie who married Guillaume Cornelio, Lord of Compans. They continued the construction of the church blessed by the bishop of Meaux, Simon Premier in 1189.
The village was part of old "France" and was called Gressy-en-France, just like Saint-Denis-en-France and all the other villages of the royal domain. Moreover, in recent years, has the city known under the name of Tremblay-Lès-Gonesses not regained its original name "Tremblay-en-France"?
Let us come back to our small church which was destroyed by lightning in the XNUMXth century, but restored immediately. It houses, among others, the enigmatic tombstone of Pierre de Gressy. More and more erased by time, the beautiful Gothic writing of the XNUMXth century presents the tomb of a crusader returning from the Holy Land.
During Modern Times
It was in the middle of the great century of Louis XIV that the Fremont family from Normandy appeared.
Robert de Fremont, whose descendants lived in Gressy until the XNUMXth century, has his tombstone which adorns the wall of the current church next to that of Pierre de Gressy. Robert de Frémont acquires the strongholds of Gressy-en-France and Moulignon. Lord of Gressy in the XNUMXth century, he lives in the castle with his large family of six children. But, undoubtedly, the discomfort of this place, will encourage him to build a large house whose name of “Clairefontaine” endures in the memories of the inhabitants. He will have a park designed there and two “canals” dug which, according to some, would be inspired by techniques of André Le Nôtre. He will carry out several constructions including an important farm known as the “farm of the Castle”. Following the decision of its owner to stop operating it, it will be transformed in 1992 with the support of the municipality of Gressy in a luxury hotel.
After 1750, the count of Pons-Saint-Maurice, lieutenant-general of the king's armies, took possession of the fiefdom. Patron, he is the protector of Carmontelle (1717-1806), painter, engraver, playwright and designer of gardens.