Atypical village of 2 inhabitants, Roissy-en-France did not wait for the airport to write its history.
The agricultural part with Gallo-Roman origins resisted the expansion of the airport. A corner of humanity where each testimony of the past is meticulously protected and restored. The tourism office lies between these two areas: the center of the village on one side with the remains of the castle gate and on the other side the hotels.
A little history
A destiny linked to that of the airport
In the late 1950s, Aéroports de Paris officials predicted a considerable expansion of air traffic and the rapid saturation of the platforms at Le Bourget and Orly. The construction of a new airport was necessary.
In 1964 :, the government decided to build this new airport.
Le March 8 1974, after years of work, Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport is put into service and becomes the largest airport in Europe in terms of surface area. That year, nobody imagined that people of all nationalities and all continents would pronounce the name of this village.
Despite this major upheaval, the village of Roissy-en-France remains a typical Ile-de-France village of 2 inhabitants, yet each year receives 899 million passengers.
In 1976, a year and a half after the inauguration of the airport, the first hotel opened at n ° 1 of the new alley of the Verger. A new economic era was dawning. New possibilities opened up, but with many difficulties to circumvent.
Rehabilitation and development of the village
In 1977 :, this observation prompted the new municipality led by André Toulouse (Mayor of Roissy-en-France) to take several measures:
- Obtain a POS (Plan d'Occupation des Soils), a real estate program of one hundred housing units decided in the city center, making it possible to create an urban framework more coherent in the village. Unsanitary housing is gradually being eliminated to provide decent housing for former farm workers. These constructions implied a complete review of the village's drinking water supply as well as its sanitation. A new drilling was therefore carried out in 1978.
- In 1980, the Tournelles sports complex was created and then developed.
- The OPAH (Programmed Operations for the Improvement of the Habitat) subsidizes theto rehabilitate the old building. Thus, we encourage the owners to renovate the village while retaining its character.
- En October 1996, we inaugurate the cultural center of the Orangery.
- In 2003, the Municipality set up, to publicize the dynamism of the sector, the Grand Roissy Tourist Office. On April 26, 2016, the town became a classified tourist resort.
Discover here the tourist map of the village of Roissy-en-France